Sunday, November 22, 2009

Is It Hard to Be Who You Are?

Over the last few days, while enjoying a few peaceful moments on my long drives between work and/or other personal business in Tucson, I was looking back upon the challenges I faced before and during transition.  I remembered that exhilarating and liberating feeling when I first learned to wear makeup and go out to support groups or to the stores "en femme." Those cherished moments turned out to be fleeting, as each time I ended the day breaking down in tears having to remove the wig and makeup and change back into my guy clothes.

I knew who I was, and yet I was forced to cross dress in men's clothes and wear the real mask of living in the closet as I had done for so many years before.  I know why I did it, and in retrospect I'm glad I did.    I wasn't the only one going through changes.  My whole family was.

Much later, as I closed in on going full time in being true to who I was, the strength of dysphoria waned, and I found strength in finally establishing my true sense of self for the first time in my life.

But even then, I worried and wondered, "Can I really pull this off?  Can I get to the point where I'm not walking around like a neurotic muskrat always wondering if people are staring at me, questioning who I am or laughing at me?  Can I do this ALL the time and am I ready?"

I have the definitive answer now, at least for me.  In the past, in addition to learning and adapting like a teenage girl comes of age and learns her way in the world, I also carried the enormous burden of burying my identity and locking her away.   The vice pressing into my skull wasn't from developing confidence and stepping into my own as a woman, it was from the demands of straddling the line between two genders and forcing myself to live as a male.

Is it hard to be who you are?  The journey is unique for every individual.  Some make it into the frontier to begin life anew, life renewed.  Some choose to avoid the crossroads, pouring their lives out in ways they can best cope with the circumstances and hope it's enough to survive.  And even a few choose to for whatever reason return to the life that they used to live because transition wasn't what they expected.  It doesn't make them failures, and it doesn't make them any less T than when they transitioned.   I've said this before, but I've learned that being who you are is a lot easier than being who you're not.

It starts within you.  Determination, tenacity, and courage must be tempered with love, concern, and patience enough to allow those around you enough time to hopefully come along for the ride.

With the right amount of support from friends and family, adequate resources, faith, and a little fortune...okay, a LOT of fortune, you may one day see in the mirror a reflection of something, someone truly beautiful. 

And it'll finally be for forever.

11 comments:

Sonora Sage said...

To me, this photo has always epitomized the discomfort of the mask your wore. The expression on your face is such a contrast to all those later photos where your feminine self shines through.

I'm so glad you're where you are now.

Leslie Ann said...

"being who you are is a lot easier than being who you're not"

Apparently wisdom came with the wrinkles. ;)

VĂ©ronique said...

Cue the Twilight Zone music! You've written a great response to the blog entry I just posted, and I hadn't seen yours until just now. That's a good kind of freaky. :)

Hugs for your amazing ability to say the right things at the right time!

Amy K. said...

It's not always easy being me (see my comment on Veronique's blog, if you like), and I can get neurotic at times... but I wouldn't trade it (and me!) for anything in the world.

I'm so glad you got to be you. For one thing, you are awesome... and I think you know it, which is even more awesome!

And, "neurotic muskrat." That one gave me a giggle. :)

caroline said...

The look on that face says it all.

Caroline xxx

NickyB (aka the CFG) said...

"is it hard to be who you are?"
Probably, yes. As you've said, it's about all those around you "along for the ride".
But, being yourself is easy (the most natural thing?), making it work for you and everyone is harder...you're doing it Lori! :-)

Two Auntees said...

Melissa,
I think most of us will just say, Amen Melissa, Amen!!

I also have posted something in the same frame to my blog before I saw your exceptional thoughts.

Amen, Melissa, Amen
Sarah

Common Teri said...

I want to echo what NickyB said. Profound and simple. Here a prayer that's been speaking to me lately.

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Rebecca said...

Thank you for such a wonderful and timely post.

thesweetestnote said...

Chingao! That must be the infamous Scenic Drive take my photo spot! LOL

I wrestle so much with these questions. Can I do this? Am I really what I feel inside? Is this the time? I think I am really attached to my mask. The male that everyone knows. But only because it's safe. Not comfortable but safe.

Courage has developed a whole new meaning to my life now. I know I am a girl. There is just so much to melt away. Layers of shield.

Calie said...

A beautiful post, Lori, but somewhat emotional for me to read.

Calie xxx