Friday, July 22, 2011

Change IS Possible (My life in pictures)

In the course of the last few years when I transitioned my body and the world I was living in, I've had much fear, worry, and doubt that change for me would ever be possible.  Close friends will account for me that I spent many dysphoric, sleepless nights wondering just how it could be possible to navigate through the mess that is transition.  Some would disagree with me and call it a "beautiful journey," but even though I found reasons to smile through  many days that went by, transition was an ugly, chaotic, nightmarish mess.  But it didn't stay that way, and I knew it would not be that way forever.  Perhaps that's what kept me going through it all.  I knew change WAS possible.

Maybe you're in the same place I was ten years ago.  I had a passion for life, I loved my new family and had a job I thoroughly enjoyed.  I was a worship leader at a small church where I witnessed God do many powerful things in people's lives.  Heck, I'd even go one step further and say I saw what some would describe as miracles happening in the craziest of circumstances.  But no matter how hard I prayed for God to take it away, I knew I had always been different, and I sensed God allowed this to happen to me for a reason.  So I worked as hard as I could to hide it, and I focused on my other passions including music and hiking.  (Blogging wasn't around then, ha!)

Maybe you're in the same place I was four years ago.  Years of denial and dysphoria finally brought me to a place  mentally where something had to give, and I knew precisely what that would entail for me - seeking help, the first step.  With the help of my wife, I sought counseling and wanted to do things "the right way" as much as possible.  Sure I was tempted to jump the gun and purchase hormones from some unknown pharmacy in England, but that was too risky and I wasn't looking for trouble when I seemed to be able to find piles of trouble weekly.   I also showed up to support groups, made new friends, and truly searched my heart and the Good Book to find out what God really intended for me.  Soon enough, with my counselor's referral and an endocrinologist's consent, I began taking hormone replacement therapy in a small dose at first.  The rest, well you know what they say, is history.
I didn't so much as want to write a lengthy tell-all, too-long-didn't read (TLDR) post to prove to you all that change, any change, is indeed possible.  Instead, I decided I would be better off showing you through a few rare pictures of the old me that you can make it through this, or whatever it is you might be going through.  You might not even be going through the transition from one sex to another but through some really challenging period in your life where you just can't see the end of the tunnel.  Trust me, I remember all too well what that feels like, and something inside me kept me going through one more day (insert hokey Wilson-Phillips audio clip here).   Soon enough I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, and now I look back and see the tunnel's exit from a not to far off  distance.  I know there'll be other struggles I'll face in the future, but for now, my life has recently been relatively drama-free, and I count my blessings that I'm alive more than I've ever been before.  I know someday it'll all be over and I'll leave this world too.  I just hope that I made a difference in this world; that I found my purpose and proved that change was possible, and that I inspired a little bit of hope into someone's life. 




 ( a photo I took today for this post)


23 comments:

Sonora Sage said...

Eh, so you grew your hair out a little!

(You know I'm kidding!)

Probably the shortest "my life in pictures" post I've ever read. I hope you know how proud I am to be your friend and to have witnessed the change first-hand. :)

Samantha Shanti said...

Ah HA! I knew there was something different, you colored your hair!

(I too am kidding!)

This was a beautiful post, and not too long didn't read at all. I too am thankful and proud I can call you friend having been here with the blog from very early on. It also takes courage to put up so many older pictures. God blesses you each day Lori, you rock!

LL Cool Joe said...

You were a handsome man, and now you are a beautiful woman.

But what shines out of you more than anything is that you are a beautiful person. Having lived my life (unfortunately) as "female bodied" what I know about you Lori is that you have a woman's soul, and that shines through in your photos as a guy too. :)

Andrew-L'autre said...

I admire your strength and your overall positivity, plus your helping of others going through transition as well. Thank you for sharing.

Abby said...

Ah, how I remember those times! Thank, Goddess, they didn't last.

You are, indeed, a beautiful woman, Lori, and that makes it all worthwhile.

Stephanie said...

Great post, Lori!

Penny said...

Lori, this is amazing. This is exactly the type of thing that would have made such a difference for me in that far-off past of pain and confusion. Thank you so much for writing this and putting it out there.

This is the kind of thing that I wish I had written; I hope to be as positive an influence as you have been here.

Just ... well ... just ~awesome~.

SharonKJ said...

Thank you for posting this, Lori! Your blog was one of the first that I started following when I was realizing that I wasn't alone and that change was not only possible, but for many, necessary and inevitable.

I have a friend who is facing seemingly unsurmountable challanges in addition to her dysphoria, and I am going to forward this post to her for inspiration.

Hugs!
Sharon

Lori D said...

@Sonora Sage - You know I've witnessed your own metamorphosis over the last few years, and I admit that watching your brave your own storms makes me exceptionally proud to call you my friend!

Lori D said...

@Samantha - Thank you for the comment! You were an early reader and follower of the blog, and you always supported me during those rough times too, so thank you!

Lori D said...

LL Cool Joe - you recognizing that I have a "woman's soul" means the world to me, and it helps instill a peace in me that tells me why my transition made so much sense. Thank you!

Lori D said...

@Andrew - bless you! One of the main reasons I returned to blogging about trans issues was to help people along. Sharing these photos was a hard thing for me to do but I realize the potential for good by doing so outweighs the negative.

Lori D said...

@Abby - yes, thank you for being a strong arm of support for me during those rough times. Seeing comments from the friends who witnessed the changes and watching me pull through is such a blessing to me. You all were and are amazing to me!

Lori D said...

@Stephanie - thanks dear! I'm so glad you're still sharing your important story too!

Lori D said...

@Penny - knowing this post is an example of the stuff you needed to see back then makes it worth putting out there because I know so many others need positive influences out there now.

It's so easy to focus on the negativity and our differences, but in the end it gets us no where and no one is edified by it in the end.

Lori D said...

@Sharon - thank you for following my blog for so long and for all the comments you've posted in the past! I appreciate you forwarding this post to your friend. I can only hope that they are able to gain something positive by reading it. Bless you!

Marie said...

I am honored to be your friend. And you are completely beautiful (even when we rock a No-Makeup-Weekend). You have proved that change is possible, and that, despite how some people try to downplay it, it can be scary and unpleasant. But it can have a wonderful ending.

Unknown said...

Lori,
Thank you for sharing this. The part about where you were 10 years ago is exactly where I am and have been for a while now. Its so interesting at times being caught between praying to God that I'd wake up how I've always wished yet at the same time wishing it could go away and I'd be able to live the life everyone always expected.

I've been in that same small church and seen those same miracles happen for other people, sometimes wishing I could have mine. Perhaps the miracle though is the self-discovery and the journey to get there which is something that a lot of other people don't get to ever really realize.

Thank you again Lori...

Lori D said...

@Marie you know who: Your friendship along with Hailey's has been an extra special blessing in my life this year. I still don't fully understand why God allows some things to happen that seem all so painful. I think it's during those tough moments that you do indeed have to walk by faith and not by sight...and hope you don't walk into a tree or a moving semi.

And yes, you give me the courage I need to rock the No-Makeup weekends!!!

Lori D said...

@Allison - I know precisely what it feels like to ask God for either removal of this "condition" or to perform a miraculous transformation. I guess he's no UPS Jesus, as he doesn't seem to ship answered prayers overnight, but I can testify that He is faithful and always will shine a path as he leads the way.

SpunkyBookworm said...

Beautiful Lori! Thanks for sharing!!

Eternal Lizdom said...

What I see in each of those pictures is your eyes. They shine and smile.

It's funny- since I've only ever known you as Lori, seeing the old pics had me do a double take because you looked exactly like a good friend of mine from college!!!

Lori D said...

Thanks SpunkyBookworm and EternalLizdom! Liz, I don't think I was that old friend of yours from college; I've never lived in the central part of the U.S.! LOL