Monday, February 8, 2010

Building Bridges and Finding Common Ground Through Adversity and Hope

Blogging can sometimes be a really hard thing to do.  Especially when the Days of Our Lives-like drama has for the most part greatly subsided.   And I know that I'm getting older because the bits and pieces of blog ideas I get throughout the day can often disappear as quickly as the idea came on.  Musicians would know the precise feeling... you start playing a catchy tune, even sing an entire verse off the top of your head, but unless you write it down immediately, it's lost to the wind when you later try to recreate the magic.  (I'll talk about nifty tool called Evernote in a bit...)

And sometimes you have a moment that is so unforgettable that you write it down for fear of some day losing that memory... like a conversation I had with a friend over breakfast this morning.

Because Susan was a direct witness of my transition, she had a few questions about the process and how I was coping.  After I updated her on life since that gloriously legal day, the conversation quickly transitioned into the adversity of, well...transition.   Susan openly shared of her personal strife in gaining a level of understanding for me and my situation primarily by putting herself in my shoes and imagining how difficult it must have been to do what I did.  She was able to put aside her initial perceptions by finding within herself a place for sympathy or empathy for me. 

It's not an easy thing to do.  Not by anyone.  I know I still have trouble pausing to reflect on what might be someone just having a bad day.  Haven't we all jumped head first to cast a stone or two in our lives?  So, so wrong, and we realize it too late after we've already struck out with ferocious judgmental words that hurt.

What Susan saw in me made my eyes water as we sat at the table.   She defined the process of my transition by the amount of courage she knew was needed to stand up to be my true self.   I was immediately thankful that she shared so bluntly with me, a trait she admits is sometimes not always a positive.   I acknowledged that there were some emotionally intense days and nights of bitter weeping involved, particularly concerning the relationship between my wife and I.    But there was a reason and a hope that brought me through those cloudy days.  Friends, family, and my faith all worked sometimes incohesively to hold me up when I could no longer stand.

In the course of the conversation, I was able to describe how one of the best tools I used to create bridges of understanding was that of learning to be understanding and to take an interest in the lives of others too.   I never wanted to be the woman who made this all about myself and to-hell-with-what-everyone-else thinks-or-feels.   I tried to seek opportunities to find out what hellishly traumatic experiences they endured, and what I found was that we all share a commonality in experiencing, enduring, and overcoming the pain and sadness of life's many storms.  I've shared this before but I feel the need to write about it again because it's becoming a foundation of truth to me.

At that point in the conversation, I had the opportunity to learn more about the trials she's faced.  I felt honored to hear Susan open up about a period of painful years that had the potential to unravel her family's bond.   I asked if she felt completely lost and helpless during those moments of fear.  Susan answered honestly that when everything swirling around her pressed her to give in, she felt a peace within her heart speaking that everything was going to be alright.  She knew she couldn't give in or let go.  She could make it through the vortex if she held on, and when all was said and done she came through it intact with an even greater blessing for her family.   Overcoming the adversity brought her closer to her children and to her faith.  And she grew as a person.

I hope to have more conversations with Susan.  I can already tell that she has a treasure trove of wisdom just waiting to be shared.  I hope she will share more of those precious memories with me someday.  I am more than willing to learn vicariously through others.

By the way, if you are like me and have trouble retaining important thoughts without the use of a notebook or planner, consider Evernote.   It is a FREE cloud-based program developed to help you take notes via text, photos, videos, or any other digital clipping, and you can access it where ever you go.   I downloaded the application for Blackberry, my Macbook Pro, and installed the Firefox add-on.  It's helped me piece together several of my thoughts for my last several posts, and I have to admit I was skeptical at first but have come to love Evernote (Get it HERE).

Thank God for little gizmos that help me remember.  And thank God for friends.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

What a lovely picture of you. You look so happy and contented, and it's apparent that your little pooch just adores you!

As for the topic of your blog, wouldn't life be so much better for all of us, if we could all just walk a mile in each others shoes? That was so sweet of your friend to do that for you. It reminds me of this old song, by Joe South:

Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Joe South and The Believers
Written by Joe South

If I could be you and you could be me for just one hour
If we could find a way to get inside each other's mind
If you could see you through my eyes instead of your ego
I believe you'd be surprised to see that you'd been blind

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Yeah, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes

Well, your whole world you see around you is just a reflection
And the law of common says you're gonna reap just what you sow

So unless you've lived a life of total perfection
Mm-mm, you'd better be careful of every stone that you should throw

Yet we spend the day throwin' stones at one another
'cause I don't think or wear my hair same way you do
Well, I may be common people but I'm your brother
And when you strike out and try to hurt me it's a 'hurtin you,

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Yeah, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes

There are people on reservations and out in the ghettos
And brother, there, but for the grace of God, go you and I

If I only had the wings of little angels don'tcha you know I'd fly
To the top of the mountain and then I'd cry?

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Hey, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Better walk a mile in my shoes

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Oh, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes,

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Hey, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes

Sonora Sage said...

Thank God for friends, indeed. (And I wish my little Gizmo could help me remember things, but all he does is deposit fur on the carpet!)

Shannon said...

I loe to read your blog and I'm awful about commenting. Somehow, I get this image of you as a woman hwo has turned her transition into a mission of outreach... maybe that's why I like your blog so much because I feel my transition has been caled to be a mission of outreach too.

Wendy said...

Hoping not to pry too much, but I would like to know what your relationship with your wife is currently. Like mine, she seemed very hurt by your transition early on and while I don't plan to transition as openly as you, I am curious how you two have accomodated this difficult change into your marriage.

ms.shandy said...

Excellent thoughts. I think being able to see things from others point of view is so important for anyone. If we were all better at it, the world would be a much better place. In transition, those who are empathetic have more easily understood me. And my empathy helps me to forgive those who can not accept, because I can understand the factors that make it so hard from their perspective.

Empathy is a great choice of word I think. But maybe I've just watched Funny Face too many times. Can't help it, Audrey Hepburn is my idol! LOL!